Wednesday, July 2, 2014

The chairman of the Mississippi Federation of College Republicans gets fed up and decides to become a Democrat. Well good for him!

8:26 AM By No comments

The chairman of the Mississippi Federation of College Republicans gets fed up and decides to become a Democrat. Well good for him!
Courtesy of TPM:

The chairman of the Mississippi Federation of College Republicans’ (MFCR) announced on Monday he was resigning and planned to become a Democrat following a brutal U.S. Senate primary.

"The Republican Party has shifted too far to the right in my opinion,” Evan Alvarez wrote in a resignation statement sent out by MFCR, according to The Clarion-Ledger newspaper. “When I ran for Chairman in the spring, I ran to be Chairman of the Mississippi Federation of College REPUBLICANS, not the Mississippi Federation of College 'Tea Partiers,'" Alvarez said.

The resignation came after the MFCR board decided to not impeach the organization’s executive director, Kolby Busby, for publicly endorsing state Sen. Chris McDaniel in the GOP primary against U.S. Sen. Thad Cochran. McDaniel eventually lost the race in a runoff.

“I refuse to simply let people break the rules and think they don’t have to answer for their actions, admit they were wrong, or even apologize,” Alvarez wrote in his resignation statement.

He then went on to criticize the Republican Party, saying the platform has allowed “groups of extremist to have too much of a voice.”

You know unless the Teabaggers follow through on their threats of starting their own political party, I think we will see a lot more of this kind of defection in the future.

I mean at some point if you are a Republican you have to take stock of your beliefs and ask yourself if they are in line with those spouted by the folks who claim to be the base of your party.

You know I could see myself feeling I could no longer in good conscience call myself a Democrat.

But there is no way, and I mean NO way, that I would ever defect to the Republican side of the aisle.

Source

0 comments:

Post a Comment