Thursday, September 26, 2013

Alabama would like very much for permission to start beating your kids at school again.

8:04 AM By


Alabama would like very much for permission to start beating your kids at school again.
Courtesy of Yahoo News:

When Alabama mom, Wendy Chandler, opened her daughter's "Back to School" packet, she was shocked to discover that among the many papers sent to her, was a "Corporal Punishment Parental Consent Form."

The permission slip, which has been making the Internet rounds since The New York Times reported the story this week, reads in part:

"According to Leeds City Schools Public Policy, parents or legal guardians who do not want corporal punishment to be administered to their child/children must inform the principal of the school on an annual basis."

The document also states that if parents fail to fill it out and hand it back to administrators, the elementary school will regard that as implicit consent to administer physical discipline. But as for what that entails exactly, and what infractions would warrant that discipline, the paper doesn't specify.

You know I went to school back in ancient times and I was sent to the Principal's office once for being disruptive and disrespectful in the classroom.

My mom was working two jobs, I never saw her, and I was not handling it very well. I was in the second grade, and to be fair my teacher was not the easiest person to get along with.

In the Principal's office I was told to apologize to my teacher, which I promptly did. However that was not quite good enough for 1968, and after the teacher left the room I was told to drop my pants and bend over the desk.

After I complied, with tears running down my face, the principal proceeded to take out half of a sanded down baseball bat and beat the shit out of me with it.

Twelve blows exactly, I still remember.

He was not the only person to abuse me in those days, but his abuse made me feel the worst about myself. The humiliation of returning to class with your face covered in tears and snot is not exactly a character building experience. Nor one that inspires you to learn.

I did not talk back to my teacher anymore, but I continued to struggle academically.

It was not until the next year when I had a tough but very fair teacher named Mrs Stavinsky, who determined that I was gifted and started to teach me accordingly, that I started to come into my own. The following year I was taught by a lovely soft spoken young woman, who was very patient and kind, and who helped me to discover my love of writing.

I became a good student, and respectful young man, NOT because of the beating, but because somebody cared and took the time to help me find my way.

In this day and age having to resort to corporeal punishment is an indication of your failure as an educator, NOT the child's failure as a student.

Or in Alabama's case, perhaps a systemic failure of your entire education system.

Punishment teaches resentment and defiance, kindness and patience teaches us to be human beings.

Source

0 comments:

Post a Comment