Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Obama uses his weekly Presidential Address to explain the difference between working around an obstructionist Congress and being a dictator.

6:38 AM By No comments

Obama uses his weekly Presidential Address to explain the difference between working around an obstructionist Congress and being a dictator.
As many of you know the President made a comment about having a pen and a phone he could implement to create policy if the Congress remained uncooperative, which made the Right Wing lose their shit and declare that he was a "dictator." Which is ridiculous since he has utilized Executive Orders far less than the majority of his predeccessors.

So today his weekly Presidential Address described what he meant by that for the slow folks and the Right Wing. (Assuming there is a difference.)

“I want to work with Congress on this agenda where I can. But in this year of action, whenever I can take steps without legislation to expand opportunity for more American families, I will. I’ve got a pen and a phone – a pen to take executive action, and a phone to rally citizens and business leaders who are eager to create new jobs and new opportunities. And we’ve already begun.”

In Wisconsin, I ordered an across-the-board reform of our training programs to train folks with the skills employers need, and match them to good jobs that need to be filled right now.

In Pittsburgh, I directed the Treasury to create “my-RA,” a new way for working Americans, even if you’re not wealthy, to start your own retirement savings.

In Maryland, I rallied the leaders of some of America’s biggest tech companies to help us make sure all our kids have access to high-speed internet and up-to-date technology to help them learn the skills they need for the new economy.

And at the White House, I brought together business leaders who’ve committed to helping more unemployed Americans find work, no matter how long they’ve been looking. And I directed the federal government to make hiring decisions the same way – based on whether applicants can do the job, not when they last had a job.

So when you hear me talk about using my pen and my phone to make a difference for middle class Americans and those working to get into the middle class, that’s what I mean.”

What the President is doing is what he has to do to keep the country moving during this time of chronic partisan obstructionism.

For that he should be applauded, not vilified.

(H/T to Politicususa.)

Source

0 comments:

Post a Comment